Kick Off the World Cup With These Apps
Stay on top of the World Cup with these mobile apps from the iOS App Store and Google Play.
Once every four years, the FIFA World Cup captures the hearts and minds of football fans everywhere. In today’s connected world, the 2014 FIFA World Cup promises to be one of the most exciting and mobile-centric sporting events ever.
Before the first match kicks off on June 12, we want to provide you with the top apps for following the World Cup. Whether you’re at work, on the move, or even in the comfort of your own home, you can keep your finger on the pulse of the World Cup from the opening match to the final showdown with these apps. The top World Cup apps were identified using App Annie Intelligence, the leading market data solution for the app store economy.
Now, let us introduce you to the top 10 World Cup apps from June 1 to June 7 on the iOS App Store and Google Play, globally:
|Top World Cup Apps by iOS Downloads iOS June 1 – 7, 2014|
|1||FIFA Official App||FIFA||Free|
|3||FIFA for iPad||FIFA||Free|
|4||WM 2014 App Live||Couchfunk||Freemium|
|6||Brazil Live 2014||Sportsmate Mobile||Free|
|7||ESPN FC Soccer & World Cup||Disney||Free|
|8||Dream Team||News Corp||Free|
|9||World Championship 2014||Rifra||Freemium|
|SOURCE: App Annie Index ™|
|Top World Cup Apps by Google Play Downloads Google Play June 1 – 7, 2014|
|1||Jalvasco World Cup 2014||Jalvasco||Freemium|
|3||Onefootball Brasil – World Cup||Onefootball||Free|
|6||World Cup Brazil 2014||HSL Software||Free|
|7||2014 Table||Tower Play||Free|
|8||FotMob – World Cup 2014 Brazil||NorApps||Freemium|
|10||Team Stream by Bleacher Report||Bleacher Report||Free|
|SOURCE: App Annie Index ™|
Below we will uncover a few categories of apps within the top ranks — including informational apps, streaming video apps and fantasy sports apps.
Keep Up-To-Date With the World Cup
There’s a heap of mobile app options to follow the 20th World Cup. FIFA is the provider of the official app for iPhone, iPad and Google Play. It features wall-to-wall World Cup coverage — including match schedules, team information, scores, news and more.
Other top apps that are stuffed with World Cup information include Sportmate Mobile’s Brazil Live 2014 (No. 6 on iOS), Jalvasco World Cup 2014 (No. 1 on Google Play) and Onefootball Brasil – World Cup (No. 3 on Google Play).
Watch the World Cup, Live
For the football fanatics who don’t want to miss a second of the action in Brazil, you’re in luck. WatchESPN, which is one of the top World Cup apps for iOS and Google Play, will be streaming video for all 64 matches, live. The only caveat is that WatchESPN is only available to US viewers who subscribe to one of the participating WatchESPN TV providers.
Play Like You’re in the World Cup
The official FIFA app not only includes complete coverage of the World Cup, but it also packs a fantasy football feature. You can compete against people from around the world for prizes by building your fantasy team with football stars from any of the World Cup teams.
The Dream Team app (No. 8 on iOS) allows you to form a World Cup fantasy team, competing for chances to win big cash prizes.
What are you waiting for? Equip yourself with these top World Cup apps, and you’ll be the most knowledgeable football fan at any pub!
- World Cup apps were identified by App Annie from apps in the Sports category in the iOS App Store and Google Play from June 1 to 7, 2014. Only apps that included content related specifically to the 2014 FIFA World Cup as of 9am PDT on June 9, 2014 were considered World Cup apps.
- The app rankings in this report are based on the download estimates available through App Annie Intelligence.
- All apps are reported under their parent company, where available; for example, the WatchESPN app is reported under its parent company Disney, rather than its direct publisher ESPN. Note that if you view the Disney parent company page on Store Stats, you will see the publishers under the parent company Disney, including ESPN. The WatchESPN app will be listed under the ESPN publisher page.
- Similar versions of an app with different names are ranked separately in this report. For example, FIFA Official App and FIFA for iPad are combined in the same unified app in App Annie DNA. However, they are ranked separately in this report.
- Certain trademarks and/or images used in this report may belong to third parties and are the property of their respective owners. App Annie claims no rights in such trademarks or images.